How To Reduce Your Plastic Usage.
1. Bring your own cloth bags to the supermarket
2. Don't buy beverages bottles in plastic. Glass is great, you can recycle it!
3. Don't get to-go coffee or hot drinks. Your drink lid and cup will live on for over 100 years! The lids and lining are plastic. Bring your own or ask for a ceramic, reusable cup.
4. Go to the farmer's market and purchase fresh fruits and veggies (not packaged in plastic).
5. Don't buy convenience foods packages in plastic.
6. Make your own bread
7. Buy bread from bakeries that package in paper.
8. Clean with baking soda and vinegar or lemon juice instead of cleaners packaged in plastic.
9. Buy laundry detergent in boxes, not liquid in plastic containers.
10. Bring your own containers to restaurants to package leftovers.
11. Do not use air fresheners. Light a candle or incense instead.
12. Store all your food in glass containers. If you purchase something bottled in glass, clean it and reuse it!
13. Buy bulk cereal, bring your own paper bags.
14. Buy tortilla chips packaged in paper bags.
15. Buy bulk coffee packaged in paper or in cans, or bring your own bags.
16. Buy peanut butter that is packaged in glass containers.
17. Compost your trash, reduce your use of plastic trash bags.
18. Line small trash bins in your house with paper bags.
19. When ordering drinks, say "no straw please!"
20. Buy real maple syrup (comes in glass bottles)
21. Buy toilet paper that is wrapped in paper, not plastic.
22. Don't use ziploc. If you need to keep things like half an onion (happens to us all the time!) use aluminum or waxy paper.
23. Use cloth rags for clean up around the house, no paper towels - reduces your trash and need for trash bags.
24. Use cloth napkins. They feel nice and reduce your waste and use of plastic trash bags.. Bring your own bag to all stores you shop in and say "no bag needed, thanks!"
25. Don't use plastic cutting boards. Use wood or glass.
26. Use baby bottles made of glass.
27. Use stainless steel sippy cups for kids.
28. Use cloth based toys for your pets, like catnip mice and soft squishy balls.
29. Buy cloth diapers. Many great varieties available and better for your baby. We fill a super bowl size hole every day with disposal diapers that will leach toxins into the environment for centuries to come.
30. Buy your music online.
31. Use real silverware for parties instead of plastic.
32. Use rechargeable batteries to reduce buying batteries packaged in plastic.
33. Make a compost heap to reduce your food waste and put it back into the earth.
34. Make your own lunch and use a reusable cloth bag or old fashioned steel lunch box to carry your lunch to work or school.
35. If you have to buy plastic ensure that you buy the recyclable type.